Which food, when you eat it, instantly transports you to childhood?

 

Hi, Sweet Friends,

 

I have the perfect answer to this question! No doubt about it, my Grandfather’s Potato Salad is the BOMB! This recipe has been handed down through four generations, from my Great-Grandmother, and the family loves it! Each family member adds their own twist which makes it that much more delicious.

My Grandfather was born, in the Summer of 1920, in the United States of America. His family was from Croatia and immigrated over in the early 1900’s. The family had moved from Croatia just before my Grandfather was born. The potato salad recipe was brought with them here to the U.S. and Grandpa made it for every special occasion. I remember seeing the yellowed handwritten note that gave the directions to the familie’s favorite recipe. It was yellowed from age and had tiny oil drops on it.It smelled like food. I could not read it, but I knew that there was a treat coming whenever Grandpa took out that paper from the recipe box.

I must have been five years old when I realized what an amazing treat it was. I remember sitting on a chair watching Grandpa, while he peeled the potatoes and eggs, and put them on the chopping board to cut up with the onion. I remember the smells of egg, salt, pepper, and vinegar. The aroma has always reminded me of pickles even though there are no pickles in the recipe. It was a special aroma and I loved it!

The best part of sitting next to Grandpa when he made the potato salad was being the “taste tester”. Grandpa would mix it all together and I would wait with anticipation. He would take a small spoonful and offer it to me. He would want my honest opinion and would ask, “How does it taste? Is there anything missing? Does it need more salt?” I would reply that it was so good and never needed anything else. He would smile and pat the top of my head lightly. This experience, for me, was difficult because one spoonful was never enough. Grandpa would cover the bowl of potato salad and put it into the refrigerator. It had to “chill” for hours or overnight. For a little kid, this was torture! The taste lingered but not long enough to satisfy my grumbling tummy. I would glance at the kitchen looking longingly at the refrigerator and wish that time could speed up.

When it came time to eat, the family would sit around the table of delicious foods, say our meal prayer, then the food would be passed around. I had to take a little of everything, but I would put a large scoop of potato salad on my plate and eat the whole bit first. Yes, I would ask for seconds, but had to finish my plate before I could have more.

These are fond memories, times with my Grandparents were few and far between. Food made the memories come alive with aroma, taste, and textures. My fondest memories all revolve around food. Oddly, I am a Foodie and married a Foodie. He also loves this potato salad recipe.

This is a photo of my Grandpa Tony and my Grandma Jeanne at my wedding reception. I named my son after Grandpa and I am named after my Grandmothers.

The basic recipe is on Style With CJDSign.

I hope you try this delicious recipe!

Memories are to be shared!

Enjoy,

CJD.Sign

Comments

Popular Posts