Laundry Tips For Mold In The Washing Machine ***UPDATE***

laundry room with blue geometric wallpaper and shelf
Better Homes & Gardens

 Hi, Sweet Friends,

Do you ever pull the whites out of the dryer and they just don't seem to be as white anymore? Well, here are a few links to help with laundry brightening, laundry room ideas, and links to cleaning charts to help you clean almost every stain that may come your way!

The biggest reason I chose this topic for the week is that lately my washing machine smells of mold. Not the clothes, but between washings the machine  I usually use white vinegar to neutralize the smell between washings. I put 1/2 cup of vinegar around the bottom of the machine. 

I got to thinking that I'm really just covering up the smell and there could be a real problem developing here. So, taking  this into consideration, I investigated what was happening here with my washing machine.

I *googled* "Smelly Washing Machine" and came up with a few good reasons why there is a moldy/mildew smell in the washer.

 These are the findings:

1. Using too much soap for the load: the water does not clear out all the soap and the soap sticks to the machine. This is a problem for the clothes. too, as they will have soap deposits on them.

     *This is not my issue because I always use less detergent than recommended. I also use dye & smell free detergents.

2. Using Liquid Fabric Softeners: This has the similar effect as the washing soaps. However, fabric softener has a waxy consistency that also causes build up. It also can cause a mildew smell. 

     *This is not my problem because I do not use a liquid fabric softener. But this smell came with the "used" washer. And I should have tackled it the first time I smelled it. We have been trying to rid the smell for over 6 months now. The clothing does not smell but the washer is clearly a more in-depth issue.

As a result, I am not succeeding with the mold problem. My current solution to this is to get a washing machine that will drain properly. I do intend to treat the new machine with care and use less of the cleaners during the wash cycle.

I'm also looking into home made wash powders as I have developed a skin allergy to soaps and perfumes. If you have any suggestions, please put them in the comments below.

I look forward to hearing from you! 

***UPDATE***

I became highly allergic to the molds. As a result, even the slightest smell of mold sets off my asthma. Solution? I had to purchase a new washer. I am using the tips above and so far, so good!

Enjoy! :D

Let’s connect!

Aside from email, social media is another great way to pick up updates from me.
Follow me on Twitter
Like my Facebook page

Pin my pics on Pinterest
Follow me on Pinterest 
Follow me on Instagram 

Follow me on Photography Talk


Custom Gem Cutter Matt A. Dunkle
That lasts forever
 Current Christian faith based movies - Heavenly Deposit is real life and relatable. A good Christian family movies based on a true story of hope.
 

Comments

Popular Posts