Origins of Tea

A Cup Of Tea From Wickstead's
Hi, Sweet Friends,

"Tea is an aromatic beverage commonly prepared by pouring hot or boiling water over cured leaves of the Camellia sinensis, an evergreen shrub native to Asia." from Wikipedia.

 So, where did the beverage, Tea, come from? 

Well, I have read that the Chinese have grown the indigenous Chinese tea plant and have been drinking it for centuries as a medicinal tonic. But that it was introduced through the trade routes to the West, via the Portuguese priests  back in the 16th Century.

What was the first Tea Cup?

The Chinese Under-glaze Blue Tea Bowl, c1700. Kangxi Period

The first tea cups were handle-less and were called tea bowls not tea cups. They were introduced from China at the same time the Chinese Tea was brought to the West.

When did the tea bowl become a tea cup?

"The tea bowl and saucer that I purchased online (pictured above and below) seems to be from the early 19th century, which certainly helps to prove this point.

Cups became more ornamental in the late 18th century, and this could be when the addition of the handle really kicked in." LINK

I have heard that tea is the most favorite drink/beverage besides water. Water is my favorite, however, tea is a close second!

There is so much history and information on the Web about tea. We have been collecting and trying teas for the past 13 years. There are some that are our favs, but others that just don't hit it right with us.j

Hubby prefers a strong dark tea like English Breakfast or Black Tea. I prefer a soothing Mint Tea or Chamomile.

We also drink Iced Teas. So check into teas and see if you like them as well as we do! 

I'd love to try teas that  you have tried! Post your favorites in the comments below and let us know what the flavor is. Tell us why you like it!!

Enjoy!

Let’s connect!




Aside from email, social media is another great way to pick up updates from me.
Follow me on Twitter
Like my Facebook page

Pin my pics on Pinterest
Follow me on Pinterest 
Follow me on Instagram 

Follow me on Photography Talk



Our Sponsor: Custom Gem Cutter http:customgemcutter.com

Custom Gem Cutter Matt A. Dunkle
That lasts forever

 

Comments

Popular Posts