Dog Training ~ Impulse Control

Hi, Sweet Friends!

Rurik continues his dog training and has learned many command words, hand signals, and harness work, however, he has difficulty controlling his enthusiasm. He loves people. As a result, people don't like him because he wants to be the center of
EVERYONE's attention.

5 Steps to Increase Your Dogs Impulse Control

In this comprehensive training list of 5 steps, Puppy Leaks author has some great information and tips to help redirect your dog when he would rather NOT look at you or obey the given command.  "In dogs, impulse control is the ability to resist urges and impulses".PuppyLeaks.com

Even though Rurik's behavior is well managed after the initial first couple of minutes with the "new" person,
Rurik's Service Animal Training Requires Rurik's full attention at all times while working.
Rurik was told to "Sit" so I could see to back up the car and this is how he chose to sit in the car! What a goofy pup!! Rurik's butt is on the seat with his 3 legs on the floorboard of the car.
 When training the dog, it is important to continue the lesson into the home using 1. Name and 2. Command or Direction. It is VERY important that only one person directs or commands the dog at a time. In my case, with a Service Animal, I am the only one to give commands of Rurik when I am present with him. Many voices cause distraction, confusion, and ultimately incorrect behavior. For me, this causes me to have pain due to getting hurt or injured because the dog is not responding to me, but to others around me.

"Whatever your training goal is it’ll be much easier if you’ve got your dog’s full attention, and luckily increasing your dog's focus and impulse control isn’t very difficult. Once you’ve got the basics mastered you can move on to more distracting locations." Puppyleaks.com

Remember that impulse control in one situation will affect arousal and control in another. So that if our dog goes bonkers over squirrels and over tennis balls, say please by sitting in order to play fetch is important for getting him to behave well around squirrels too. – Sophia Yin, Learn To Earn Program

 As Rurik is still in the finishing stages of his Service Animal Training, we continue to reinforce the 10 basic commands.
Rurik's unique commands are in (Rurik) so that you can see the differences in the words mean the same thing.
Rurik looks like a mouse! This is the command "LooK".
1. look or watch me (Look at me)
2. The emergency recall (HERE NOW)
This is Rurik in the "Come Help Mommy" command.
3. come (& Come Help Mommy)
4. With me (Work)
5. Leave it (Not Yours)
6. drop it (give it)
7. sit
8. lie down (lay down)
9. stay
10. wait (& Stop)

We added more training words for Rurik as he works with me and they are in no particular order:
11. Gentle
12. Not Your Yard
13. Your Yard
14. Load Up
15. Get Dressed
16. Get Undressed
17. Work & Working
18. Help Mommy
19. Find Daddy
20. Drink
21. Go Potty, pee pee, poo poo
22. Wash your paws
23. In
24. Out
25. Bath
26. Up Up
27. Down
28. RU's Baby (for toys)
29. Treat or Puppy Cookie
30. Good Boy Help Mommy (when I fall) followed by Find Daddy!! 😢
31. Closer 
32. Heal with Gentle added
33.Okay
34. Help
35. Leave it/Uckie
36. Mommy's Side
37. Take Mommy Potty
38. Help Mommy Shower
39. Help Mommy Get Dressed
40. Pick Up
41. Take
42. Back Back
43. Get Brushed
44. Go for a ride
45. RU's Bed
46. RU's House - Kennel
47. RU's Chair
48. Around
49. Night Night
50. Open
51. Push
 Some of these commands may seem redundant, however, when I need Rurik to perform for me with everyday tasks, they are really important. 

I hope you found this post updating and encouraging. We will continue to keep posting about Rurik's progress!
 Enjoy!


Let’s connect!

Aside from email, social media is another great way to pick up updates from me.
Follow me on Twitter
Like my Facebook page

Pin my pics on Pinterest
Follow me on Pinterest 
Follow me on Instagram 

Follow me on Photography Talk

 Our Sponsor: Custom Gem Cutter

https://squareup.com/store/matt-dunkle

Comments

Popular Posts