Why Do We Ghost?

publicdomainvectors.org
Hi, Sweet Friends,

This topic may sound weird, but let me explain it. The term Ghost or Ghosting is a term that has been used since 20ll in online relationships and more recently in Celebrity relationships. To Ghost someone is to not respond...ever. It is the end of a relationship or friendship that just stops. There is no closure, no real "end", and it is happening more than ever before. It has been studied to have physiological ramifications to both individuals; whether they realize it or not.

Wikipedia states it like this, "Ghosting may be especially hurtful for those on the receiving end, causing feelings of ostracism and rejection[7]. Some mental health professionals consider ghosting to be a passive-aggressive form of emotional abuse, a type of silent treatment or stonewalling behavior, and emotional cruelty.[7]"


In the form of dating, I guess we Ghost someone when we don't want to hurt their feelings by rejecting them. I read, somewhere, that women feel powerless with some men and Ghosting is the "Safe" way to end things before they begin.

What does this all mean in a busy life where electronics are a crucial part of our daily existence and time for personal connections is squeezed into a tiny "tic" box becoming more of a chore than a pleasure? 
publicdomainfiles.com
I recently read an article, "Why People Ghost - And How To Get Over It" by
By Adam Popescu a writer at the New York Times. This article touches on many of the questions of why people "Ghost" and what can be done about it. I learned a lot about Ghosting. According to the article, I do it and didn't even realize that I do it. I get busy, as most of us do, with LIFE. Now, because I don't see something on a Social Media Platform, am I Ghosting? Or is life getting in the way of my socializing? 
In the article by Adam Popescu, he talks about personal "friendships" that are toxic or disturbing that we just need to get out of. I've had a few like this, the person, not only made me uneasy, but the conversations were hatefully skewed and were repeated over and over in each conversation ad nauseum. This to me is a toxic relationship. The other was hateful, filled with horrible language, and I felt like this persons verbal punching bag. Toxic...done.

 I have close friends when they are busy, does this mean that they aren't chatty with me because they are Ghosting me or because something has "come up" and they are simply busy.
 
clker.com

So, the bottom line, It's not why do we Ghost, it's why didn't we do it a long time ago? Like Hubby said, "Many of my old friends just went on with their own lives. There wasn't an "end" of the relationship, it just simply ended". I have family that hasn't spoken to me for years, are they Ghosting me?

 I have millions of followers from all the Social Networks I am on. Can I possibly be a "friend" to all of them? Is this even a rational idea? No, however, we make connections and go on with the day. It's not intentional, it's life.
Are we making mountains out of molehills with this Ghosting topic? 
You decide.

I think it is a lot like how we use to let the phone ring during dinner because being with family and having a meal together was important than everything else. Everything else at that time could just wait. As my Father would say, "Just because you have urgency on your part does not mean that it is my urgency".
cliparts.co
Thank you for letting me in a few moments of your busy day! I hope you have a good one!
Enjoy,

 
Let’s connect!
Aside from email, social media is another great way to pick up updates from me.
Follow me on Twitter
Like my Facebook page

Pin my Pics on Pinterest
Follow me on Pinterest 
Follow me on Instagram



Our Sponsor: Matt A. Dunkle, Custom Gem Cutter
https://www.customgemcutter.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

Comments

Popular Posts