Crochet Mens Beanie -Link Updates

Hi, Sweet Friends,

For my Creative Day Thursday Project this week, I've made a Men's Beanie. Hubby asked for a new beanie asked me to finish it a bit different than the plain edge of the first beanie. I used two patterns to get this look and he loves the finished product.
Hubby wanted a longer hat that would fit down over his ears, on these Cold Mountain nights.

I started the beanie with a "Magic Circle Stitch" shown in the link from Kristine of Ambassador Crochet.
 I like the tight "Magic Circle" at the top of the hat because I won't be adding any top knot, pom pom, or a tassel)

I then used this pattern from allfreecrochet.com Men's-Beanie-Hat in a size 5 crochet hook,

and finished the trim with this pattern from Ashlea of Heart Hook & Home. I used a size 6 crochet hook.


We will only be using the instructions for the brim of the beanie:
Row 1: Ch-21. Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each to end. (20)
Rows 2 – 75: Ch-1, turn, sc in both loops of first st, sc in blo of next 18 sts, sc in both loops of last st. (20) 

Please watch the video above for the directions on this tutorial.

I will be making the whole Slouch Beanie for the Grand-babies this next Christmas. This pattern uses a Tunisian Hook for the body of the beanie. This look is so beautiful and I can't wait to start these new beanies!

I hadn't stitched this type of hat trim before. I really like this "cable" look and the finish of the edge. While I had to wait to order the Tunisian Hooks, I decided to add this trim stitch (above) to the trim of Hubby's Beanie.
I hope you like the look as much as I do.

Hubby smiles with each fitting of the new beanie. He grabbed it up before it was finished and wore it out in the 12* night.
Now that's a compliment! I'm really glad I made the beanie the way he wanted it and he is so happy with the way it turned out!


 Give it a try. If you don't like this particular style, the links above have many more hats, scarves, sweaters, and more to crochet.

Here is how I made my version of these three patterns:
First,


Stitch the Magic Circle.
Then follow with the Beanie.
Then make the trim.
Sew the trim together. In the photo above, fold the trim up to the top edge as the red arrows show. Whip stitch closed.
 Stitch the ends together making a circle.
 Slide the hat into the trim with the raw sides together. These you will anchor with 4 small pieces of thread. The above photo shows the two ends to tie as the back of the hat.
 When you look down into the hat, it should look like this photo above.
 Tie the knots using a slip knot. at each of the 4 points. Front, Back, Right side, and Left side.
 These next photos show this up close.


 Now, start stitching together the hat and the trim. Keep the 4 anchor stitches in as they will act as support as well.
 Continue all the way around the hat/beanie.
 When you get to the end, tie off the end of the stitching yarn with the beginning yarn end. See photo above.
Using a heavier yarn made this hat nice and warm for Hubby.
Hubby liked the circular pattern on the inside of the hat. We just flipped it to the outside of the hat.

We both think it turned out to be similar to a Long Shoreman's Hat.
 
Learn to make a new creation today! 
Enjoy,
Love and links are always appreciated!



All photos are by CJD.Sign unless stated otherwise. If you want to use my photo, please give me credit and a link to my posts. Thank you, CJD.Sign


Our Sponsor:   Matt Dunkle of Custom Gem Cutter


 
Aside from email, social media is another great way to pick up updates from me.
Follow me on Twitter
Like my Facebook page

Pin my Pics on Pinterest
Follow me on Pinterest 
Follow me on Instagram
Follow me on YouTube  

Follow me on Ravelry - CJDSign Crochet

Comments

Popular Posts