14 Things You Do That Your Dog Hates? I Beg To Differ!


Rurik on the Go loves to snuggle.
Hi, Sweet Friends,

This topic really piqued my interest. First of all, most of what I do seems to make my dog happy, so what am I doing that he "Actually Hates?" 

This article on pets and the 14 Things you do that your dog actually hates is quite a surprise to me!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/pets/14-things-you-do-that-your-dog-actually-hates/ss-BBQM2u4?ocid=spartanntp

 I'll list the 14 things followed by my own opinions on them.

The List of 14:
1. Forcing them to make friends with everyone. Your dog may not be happy with meeting others.
2. Patting their head. Dogs view it as rude and threatening.
3. Being a Clean Freak. Dogs like their owners to have a scent and the stinkier the better.
4. Sitting for hours in front of the TV. Dogs are desperate for stimulation.
5. Constantly reassuring them that everything is fine. Constant reassurance can be confusing.
6. Each owner has their own rules. Like the no dog to the yes dog on the bed rule.
7.  No Rules. Dogs want structure and hierarchy.
8. Giving Great Big Snuggly Hugs. Dogs become scared and anxious.
9. Stare lovingly into their big eyes.  It can make your dog intimidated, unsure, confused, and pressured.
10. Hurrying them through a walk. A leisurely "smelling" walk helps your dog stay connected.
11. Dressing them up. Dogs don't like wearing clothes and it's not fun.
12. Waking them from a dead sleep. "Let Sleeping Dogs Lie."
13. Bringing home a new baby. This can cause anxiety and threaten a dogs stability.
14.  Locking them in the garage during fireworks. This can add to their terror.

 My personal opinions and experiences:
1. I think social interaction is good for certain dogs. Our dog is a service animal and while we want interaction, we don't want him to pick up any "bad habits" while interacting. We also don't allow aggression and remove our dog if there is any aggression presented. While some animals seem to get along with other dogs, many just aren't social.  My suggestion: Take your dog to the outside area of a dog park and allow him to smell around, get acquainted with the area, and then take him in to start socializing. I'd also keep him on a leash while he is in this transitional time. 

2. I honestly have never seen anyone pat a dogs head. Rub or scratch, yes. So not quite sure where this is coming from. RU loves to be scratched and rubbed all over his face, nose, chin, ears, and neck. It is just the way we bond.

3. While I understand this idea of our "scent," I don't think this one is too big of a clean thing. RU and I both shower together. We use different shampoos and conditioners, but he knows that clean smell is my smell, too. 

4. I agree with this one. Dogs need stimulation and get bored quickly. RU loves to have his "play" time with Mom. He likes "tug-0-war" and snuggling. He does need the play during the day. He has been trained for "downtime" as I have specific needs he helps me with. However, Hubby takes him out for runs throughout the day to ensure he is getting enough exercise.

5. When a dog is anxious and agitated, it calms them down with the tone of your voice and your gentleness. The words you say to them when reassuring them need to be ones you have trained them to know. This would be confusing if these words were changed all the time. I quietly say his name, make a "shhh" sound, stroke his chest, or back gently and he quiets and calms down.

6. This has to be the hardest thing in this article. And very hard for the dog to know who to listen to. In working with a Service Animal or any other dog, it is imperative that the words and the rules are the same no matter the situation. Dogs do get confused and they have ways they express this. Many times this confusion leads to bad behavior on the dogs part and not a good way of training the dog. Rules and command words have to be consistent. 

7. Dogs really do need rules. A dog without rules runs wild, risks injury, and bad behavior leads to many owners removing the dog from their home. This isn't the dog's fault, it is the fault of the owner. Think of it in terms of children. Children with out rules become unruly. Dogs need structure.

8. When we got Rurik, he loved to snuggle, he still loves to snuggle and lays his head on my legs when he wants to be close. His breeder said Rurik was very shy and wasn't cuddly. I found this to be the exact opposite with Rurik. Strange how a dogs personality comes out with certain people. Hugs and snuggles are part of Rurik's daily routine. He seeks me out and hugs his neck over my shoulder. 

9. I do agree with this one. Dogs really are uncomfortable with you staring into their eyes, however, Rurik looks into my eyes for direction, love, understanding, and to convey those unspoken words. But we don't stare. 

10. Walks with your dog should be on their time and not yours. This is a big one and I have to say is quite important in the daily life of your dog. With a Service Animal, a working dog, we have to work had at having him "eliminate" on a time frame early in the morning so that my day can run smoothly. If he as to go while out in town, we use a potty bag and clean up as we go on with our day. We have found with both of my Service Animals, they are more comfortable going potty at our home yard then out in town or at the dog park. Raider use to hold it all day until we arrived home and then relieved himself. But, the familiar is better for the dog and the walk should be enjoyed by your dog and you.

11. I think each dog lets you know if it wants to dress or not. I have a grandpuppy that loves to be dressed, jeweled, pampered. She has always loved this. Raider use to walk in one side of my closet and out with something on. He loved "getting dressed" in his work clothes, harnesses, and working. Rurik is the same way. So, let your dog decide. They will tell you what they like and what they don't.

12. Waking a dog from deep sleep can be very dangerous for you. I have seen dogs attack when awoken from a dream or deep sleep. I have also been gentle when waking my dogs. It seems more like common sense than anything to not try to startle a dog awake.

13. Anthing new to the family should be introduced. A new baby, a new puppy, kitty, or another animal can cause the dog to become unsure of his place in the hierarchy of the household. This is very important and should be always addressed. There should be a time of introduction and a time for adjustment. If you want a have a smooth transition, then take the time for the new member introductions. You will be happy you did.

14. Raider had such a physical response to thunder, lightening, fireworks, and loud noise that it caused him horrible distress. So to help him get through these situations, we would use his tighter dog vest (for comfort), we would watch a loud show to drown out the sounds, and even take him out of the city when the fireworks were ready to go off. He would shake, drool, and pant incessantly. It was horrible for him and we would do anything to lesson this anxiety that Raider felt at these times. With Rurik, since he is young, we are exposing him to these sounds and the loud noises. We speak softly and reasuring him that he is a "good boy". If your dog has difficulty in these situations, keep him close by in your "pack" to feel safe and less anxious.


I do think that we as dog owners need to treat them as more than just a dog. They are part of your family. You are part of their pack.
Enjoy!
 Love and links are always appreciated!



All photos are by CJD.Sign unless stated otherwise. If you want to use my photo, please give me credit and link to my posts. Thank you, CJD.Sign

 "God bless us, everyone!" ~Tiny Tim

Our Sponsor: Matt A. Dunkle of Custom Gem Cutter











Let’s connect!

Aside from email, social media is another great way to pick up updates from me.
Follow me on Twitter
Like my Facebook page

Pin my Pics on Pinterest
Follow me on Pinterest 
Follow me on Instagram 







Comments

Popular Posts