Iris In The Garden
Hi, Sweet Friends!
I absolutely love Spring when the flower bulbs come to life! I enjoy seeing the yellow daffodils, the bright red tulips, and the brilliant purple Iris. The iris is the one bulb that has green foliage, often called swords or fans, most of the year. The beautiful spikes of flowers that shoot out of the green fan leaves, with plumes of impressive colors are my favorites!
There are two hundred species of Iris and thousands of officially named cultivars. There are just as many unofficial cultivars as well.
I love looking at the Garden Catalogs and finding new and unique varieties. I am looking for something in white that will make the purple blue just "POP"!
Here are just a few of my favorite places to shop for Iris...
Gilbert Wild http://www.gilberthwild.com/IRIS/products/27/
Iris Farmer http://irisfarmer.com/white.html(I'm leaning toward "Got Milk" a white beardless tall variety)
white flower farm https://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/iris
Here is a bulb border with a mixed variety of bulbs. The Iris are in two shades of purple and show off against the green swords. I absolutely love Spring when the flower bulbs come to life! I enjoy seeing the yellow daffodils, the bright red tulips, and the brilliant purple Iris. The iris is the one bulb that has green foliage, often called swords or fans, most of the year. The beautiful spikes of flowers that shoot out of the green fan leaves, with plumes of impressive colors are my favorites!
There are two hundred species of Iris and thousands of officially named cultivars. There are just as many unofficial cultivars as well.
I love looking at the Garden Catalogs and finding new and unique varieties. I am looking for something in white that will make the purple blue just "POP"!
Here are just a few of my favorite places to shop for Iris...
Gilbert Wild http://www.gilberthwild.com/IRIS/products/27/
Iris Farmer http://irisfarmer.com/white.html(I'm leaning toward "Got Milk" a white beardless tall variety)
white flower farm https://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/iris
I was able to split the tubers and plant some at our new home. They will run as a border along an embankment. I will be mixing them up with the Lambs Ears and Hollyhocks in the border.
-
I will update this post with photos when the border starts to bloom!
*Note: To separate the tubers, or rhizomes, of the Iris, you will need a sharp clean knive. Divide tubers from the center rhizomes with at least one bud or eye and roots on each. Plant with fleshy roots down and 18inches apart. Best to plant in Fall, however, I have to plant these now, in May, as they are blooming out.
This is a close up of the "Blue Flag" Iris that was shared with me by my dear friend. Her children had given this original Iris to her for a Mother's Day Gift, years earlier. It is a wonderful thing to share your garden with others. The term "Flag" is used for the tall variety of Iris.
Enjoy!
Let’s connect!
Aside from email, social media is another great way to pick up updates from me.
Follow me on Twitter
Like my Facebook page
Pin my Pics on Pinterest
Follow me on Pinterest
Follow me on Instagram



Comments
Post a Comment