How To Save Green Onions ~ Friday Foods

Saving Fresh Green Onions, CJD.Sign
Hi, Sweet Friends,

We love green onions and put them in most of our recipes, as a garnish, and on salads.  This year we had more green onions than we could eat. I checked into drying my green onions and found that they could be dried on my dehydrator.
Cut the green onions into manageable pieces.
Approximately 6-8 inches in length is good to keep the green onions from falling through the dehydrator holes.
Lay the green onion tops around in the shape of the dehydrator. Continue this pattern on each tray until all the green onions are placed in the dehydrator.
Keep the bottoms of the onions for fresh growing green onion tops by putting the root ends down in a cup of water. Place the cup on the windowsill. The onions will start growing within a few days.
When the last of the green onions are placed on the dehydrator trays, place the cover on.
Plug in the dehydrator. Our dehydrator is by Magic Chef.
Turn on the dehydrator. I check the dehydrator each hour. Turning the onions helps to dehydrate better.
If the green onions are still soft, put the tray back on the dehydrator and go about 15-30 minutes more.
Continue as needed.
I use kitchen shears/scissors to cut up the green onions into small pieces.
Some of the green onion tops we chopped and put into zip freezer bags and put in the freezer.
I left them overnight in the oven (so the cats wouldn't play with them) and they worked out just fine.
When they are to be used, I (unconventionally) smack the bag on the counter to break up the frozen clumps. I pull out just what I need and put the bag back in the freezer.
Enjoy!





Comments

Popular Posts