It's Saturday...

 Hi, Sweet Friends,


 I am taking a leap of faith on this subject. I have lived with it all my life. It has surrounded me and my family, it comes to me through friends, and Holidays can bring on its ugly head. What is this I am talking about? Depression.


Yep. A hard one to talk about, hard to live with. Millions of people all over the world live daily with depression and many, like me, have found it to be multi-generational. 


So, what can we do about this "Depression" thing that lurks in the background, and sometimes the foreground of our lives? Don't bury it down deep into your soul, but rather become educated. The more we know, the more we grow. Or so the saying goes. 

In my family, this subject of depression was a taboo topic. We all knew it was there, we all knew it would rear its ugly head, but what we didn't know is that it was worldwide.  And that it should be talked about, out in the open, and not hidden away like some dark secret.

Fourteen years ago, at Christmas time, my daughter committed suicide.  I've never publicly spoken of this as it is still a deep wound in my heart that tore my family apart. 

She was resuscitated, but the damage was done. She spent 4 long days and nights in a coma. When she awoke, she was a different person, she had major brain damage, and she hated me for saving her life.

Were there any clues? 
Was there a sign? 
Did she show any actions that she was suicidal? 
Did you just miss the hints? 

The answer to all these questions was no.no.no. and no.

She had spent the whole weekend over at friends, Friday overnight right on through Sunday night. She had told us she had "a wonderful time." She kissed us goodnight and was smiling, happy, and her usual bubbly self. 

I won't speak of what she did next. It is not to be glamorized in any way.

But I will say that we almost lost my most precious daughter. And for two long and drawn out weeks, we endured this traumatic situation right alongside her. The damage caused by this can't be fixed. She lives with severe memory loss and hostility issues.

You see, my daughter is Bi-polar, it runs on both my side and her father's side of the family. My oldest son is also Bi-polar. And yes, it is multi-generational. I battled depression all my childhood, teen years, and on stressful occasions during my adulthood. It wasn't mentioned. It wasn't talked about. It wasn't even acknowledged in the family. But it was there and it dug its feet in to stay.

I'm typing this with a heavy heart, tears flowing down my cheeks, and a pain that has yet to be healed after 14+ years.

Why am I writing about this now?

Because mental health needs to be addressed with our children, teens, young adults, and between adults. It is important. It is real. And it has raised it's ugly head again with these school shootings.


This is no joke. 
This is devastating. 
This is life changing. 
AND this can be helped.

Below are some phone numbers & links for anyone who is dealing with depression and/or suicide. Please take action. Please talk about it. Please, before it is too late.
Please share this post. Please quote me on any part of it you think will help someone else or even yourself.
"Depression hotlines offer a free and confidential service that is available 24 hours a day to help you start on a path toward healing. Sometimes it can be helpful to express what you are experiencing to another human being, to get your feelings out and lift that burden off your chest." -MentalHelp.net

Mental Health Website: https://www.mentalhelp.net/articles/depression-hotline/
Depression Hotline: 
1-800-662-HELP (4357) 


Suicide Hotlines:

 Please take action. Please talk about it.

 Please, before it is too late.

Please share this post. Please quote me on any part of it you think will help someone else or even yourself.
God Bless You. CJ.



 Let’s connect!
Aside from email, social media is another great way to pick up updates from me.
Follow me on Twitter
Like my Facebook page

Pin my Pics on Pinterest
Follow me on Pinterest 
Follow me on Instagram

 http://customgemcutter.com




Comments

Popular Posts