Mini Cloth Pumpkins DIY

Hi, Sweet Friends!
We are making Mini-Cloth Pumpkins today and I hope you are as excited as I am. Just look at the photo above where all these little lovely pumpkins took over my workspace!! YAY!!
Supplies:
Scraps of material in colors that are complimentary
Iron & Iron board or ironing pad

Round Shape for a pattern (plate, bowl, or cup)
Matching thread - Button Hole Thread or Heavy Duty Thread
Hand Sewing Needle
Filling Stuffing (Fiberfill)
Weighted Filling (beans, peas, rice)
Stems (sticks, dowels, or little twigs)
Hot Glue Gun
Hot Glue Sticks
Twine for around the dowels or sticks (optional) 

Directions:
This material was a scrap from a pair of flannel jammies.
I chose 3 types of materials to use for my pumpkins.
I love this Buffalo Check in black & brown flannel.






Iron the material you are going to be using. Center the plate, bowl, or cut over the pattern as shown above.
Keeping the lines in the check straight when laying out the pattern (dish, plate, bowl, or cup).
Pressing down on the center of the bowl (or other dish or cup),


hold the bowl steady as you cut out the shape around the edge. I did a quick rough cut here.
Trim close to the edge.
Then I went back and cut the circle a little better.

A regular-sized dinner plate makes a  pumpkin as big as my hand.
The bowl circle is about 1 to 2 inches smaller. See the above photo.
Sewing Directions:
I cut 3 sizes. (2) Large is a Dinner Plate, (12) Medium is a Bowl, and (15) Small is a Coffee Cup.
Cut the strings close to the stems when the glue is dry.

Cut a several circles from each fabric chosen. My total was 29. But I wanted more and MAD Hubby said, "Don't you think you have enough?", to which I said, "NEVER!" hahahaha🤣🤣🤣 The white material is from an old jacket/sweater that was perfect for the white pumpkins.

Take the first circle. I chose the smallest ones first.
Stitch a Running Stitch around the circle at 1/4" in from the edge with heavy duty thread or button hole thread.
Gently, gather up the edges.
This will make a pouch, as shown above.
Put a few tablespoons of heavy fill (rice, beans, peas) in the bottom of the pouch.

Fill the rest of the way up with fiberfilling. Pull the threads tight and tie in a knot. This is the top where the hot glue and stick will go.
I free handed cut some leaf shapes and stitched a blanket stitch around the edges of each one.
This material is a stretchy jersey material in grey. It worked well also for these little cuties pumpkins!
I cut 4 bowl round circles of this material.
There is a quilted side and a flat shiny side with this material. I chose to use the quilted side for the outside of the pumpkins.
I cut 2 large and 4 medium of this Buffalo Check material.
Make all of the pumpkins in the same way as the directions above.
Break the sticks or twigs into small lengths that look good on each pumpkin. I did not measure these as they are all different and most are curvy or have neat shapes to them.
Put a large dot of hot glue in the center. Place the stick piece into the glue and hold for 30 seconds or until the stick stays in place when let go.


For the dowel sticks, cut the dowel 1 1/2 to 2 inch pieces. I used the medium with the 2" pieces of dowel and the 1 1/2" pieces with the cup size small pumpkins.

Put a large dot of hot glue in the center. Place the stick piece into the glue and hold for 30 seconds or until the stick stays in place when let go.
Then use the twine attached at the bottom of the dowel and wrap around the dowel. Use a dot of glue to secure the twine at the top with a bit extra for a tendrill.
Finish with a dot of hot glue on the stem and add a leaf.

When the hot glue is dried, take the needle and matching thread and stitch into the center of the pumpkin fron the stem to the bottom. Bring the thread around and do the same 3 more times.
Make sure there is even spacing around the pumpking.  See the photo below.
Pulling the thread tightly to "sinch" the sides of the pumpkin.
Knotting each time at the top of the stem.
Add 4 more stitches, in between the stitches shown, around the pumpkin to finish it off.  I started at the center, came thru the same spot in the bottom and made a wheel type pattern around the pumpkin. With a total of 8 section stitches for the large & medium pumpkins.




With the smallest pumpkins, use the same stitching method as above, but use only 6 "sinching" stiches around the pumpkins.
Aren't they adorable? I just love them all!
Now, they are all over the house, tucked in corners, around the tables, kitchen, and anywhere they wanted to land!

Note to the pet owner*** Our kitten, "Precious", enjoys taking them to her "Stash Area" at night. So, if you have pets, you may want to check on them as they may go missing!! Rurik has not eaten any of the "stems" and I hope he won't!

This is where they are currently. I have been decorating, organizing, changing up the house for the past 2 months and will have photos shortly!

Enjoy!

Heavenly Deposit is a faith film about finding hope and faith in a time of need! It can change your life! Get your copy today! I love our movie and have watched it over and over again! This is a real-life story that touches your heart and leaves you knowing that God is there, He is listening, He wants the best for you, and He loves you because you are His Child. You can watch the official trailer of Heavenly Deposit HERE!
Let’s connect!




Aside from email, social media is another great way to pick up updates from me.
Follow me on Twitter
Like my Facebook page

Pin my pics on Pinterest
Follow me on Pinterest 
Follow me on Instagram 

Follow me on Photography Talk

 Our Sponsor: Custom Gem Cutter




https://squareup.com/store/matt-dunkle

Comments

Popular Posts