Chocolate Explosion Cake! Happy Birthday Hubby!

Hi, Sweet Friends!

We are making Hubby's Birthday Cake. This year he asked for a Chocolate, Chocolate, Chocolate, and Chocolate Cake. After some deliberating on the ingredients of this newfangled cake, we came up with this recipe!


Hang on tight, this cake is a Chocolate Explosion!

Ingredients:
This cake take 2 Duncan Hines Cake Mixes.
1 Devil's Food "Duncan Hines" Cake Mix
1 Dark Chocolate Fudge "Duncan Hines" Cake Mix
6 eggs (3 eggs per cake mix)

2 Cups Cold Water (1 Cup per cake mix)
Measure out 1 cup water and add 1/3 cup oil in the same glass measure cup

2/3 Cup Oil (1/3 per cake mix)
3 Containers Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge
1 Container Duncan Hines German Chocolate Icing 


Directions:
  • I made each cake separately and followed the directions on the boxes.
  • Oil & Flour each pan. Makes removing them from the pan very easy and no breakage on the cakes.
  • Allow each cake to cool completely. The best thing to keep them from sliding is to place each cake layer into the refrigerator to chill before icing and building the cake layers.
  • Add a dollop of icing to the middle of the cake platter or cake stand. This helps to anchor the cake so it won't slide.
  • Place the cakes upside down for a level cake. Use a pastry brush to dust off the tops (I forgot) as it looks prettier. But it does not change the taste.
  • Build it in this manner:
  1. Devil's food cake

     Ice the sides and the top like above.
  2. Dark Chocolate Icing
  3. Dark Chocolate Cake
  4. Dark Chocolate Icing
  5. Devil's food cake

  6. German Chocolate Icing on top only
  7. Dark Chocolate Cake
  8. Dark Chocolate Icing and cover the rest of the cake
  • Suggestion is to have 4 Dark Chocolate Icings to fill in the holes. I didn't have quite enough and you can see a bit of the German Chocolate Icing coming through.
 I made a side swirl on the top of the cake, but with more icing, decorative star dollops could be added and swirls of icing at the bottom.

Be creative and try decorating it with white icing colored with food coloring.

Also, you can add any type of cake flavor. Hubby is a Chocohollic and wanted only the darkest of chocolates. 
Let me know when you make this and if have any tips or flavors you tried. I'm very interested in seeing how you liked it!

Enjoy this cake!
All photos are by CJD.Sign. If you want to use my photo, please give me credit. Thank you.


Enjoy!
Let’s connect!
Aside from email, social media is another great way to pick up updates from me.
Follow me on Twitter
Like my Facebook page

Pin my Pics on Pinterest
Follow me on Pinterest 
Follow me on Instagram

 http://customgemcutter.com


Comments

Popular Posts