A Pet's Memorial ~ Raider On The Go!


Hi, Sweet Friends,

This post has been a long time coming. Frankly, it still hurts my heart when I think about my Raider On the Go! It has been since December 29th that he passed, 8 1/2 months ago. He was 14 years 9 months old. He lived a good and long life.
He was a love, a best friend, a helper, and got me out of the wheelchair, off the walker, and the cane. He was the best part of my disability. 
I am back on the cane and walker (when in crowds).  I do have a new future with a new Service Animal here in a few short weeks.
So, it is time to do this posting.

As many of you know, who have been following, RU "Rurik" will be replacing my beloved Raider as my Service Animal. If you have followed us on Facebook,  this Blog, and Raider's Page, then you know how much a Service Animal is for someone with a permanent disability. Below is a sweet link to Raider's Goodbye.
https://www.facebook.com/RaiderontheGO/videos/1853669677998744/ (this is our personal video goodbye. Raider passed away the day after filming this video.)

 When I was at the Vet laying Raider to rest, they made an imprint of his paw with his name on it.
Raider's Paw Print from the Vet after his passing away.
I really wanted to do something special with this memorial for Raider. Raider had been special to me, he had been in my life for over 14 years. I found comfort in having this bit of remembrance around to look at and enjoy the fond memories we had together.

Raider's Paw Print, his collar, his Service Animal Tag, and a handmade Christmas Ornament with "Raider" on it that I stitched the year before.
 Here is how I made Raider's:
Materials:
1 decorative frame with glass/plexi-glass


1 piece of Black Velvet (2" larger than the frame on all sides) example...the frame is 5" x 7", so the velvet needs to be 7" x 9" to fit well.

The paw print from our Vet can be found here  from "Veterinary Wisdom". Since our Vet's office made the print, the one in the link will have to be kneaded and moulded before the print is made. The instructions are quite simple. Dry as directed.
Scissors
Lint Roller

Spray Glue
Gorilla Glue "White Glue Pen"
Dogs Tag
Nail & hammer
Dogs Collar

Directions:

1. Wash the frame and glass/plexi-glass with glass cleaner.
2. Cut the Velvet to desired shape to fit over the glass.



3. Use the Lint Roller on the front and the back of the velvet to remove any left over pieces and lint.

4. Spray the glass/plexi-glass front and center the velvet on the glass. Press lightly. Let dry.
5. Turn over dried velvet on the glass. Use the glue stick to adhere the folded over edges onto the back of the glass. Press firmly. Let Dry.




6. Glue edges with glue stick as shown above.

7. Use the Gorilla Glue (as directed) onto the Velveted glass piece to adhere the paw print. Place toward the top of the inside of the frame. Press Firmly, but be careful not to break the clay.




8. Use the Gorilla Glue (as directed) on the velveted glass piece to adhere the dog tag. Place under the paw print, centered. Press hard.
9. Let this dry overnight. The glue will take time to set with the two types of materials on the velvet fabric.


10. The next day, place the velvet framed print into the frame. lock down the tabs.
11. Flip the frame over and take a tiny nail (I found white painted panel nails at Walmart here) and tap it into the bottom middle of the frame.
11. Hang the pet collar on the nail. 
12. Hang the framed piece on the wall with a longer nail with a flat head.

 I hope you have many years of memories with your pet Memorial as I will. They will always be treasured members of the family.
  Enjoy!

Let’s connect!
Aside from email, social media is another great way to pick up updates from me.
Follow me on Twitter
Like my Facebook page

Pin my Pics on Pinterest
Follow me on Pinterest 
Follow me on Instagram

Our Sponsor: Custom Gem Cutter
http://customgemcutter.com 

Comments

Popular Posts