Onion Rings - Friday Foods

Onion Rings to make and freeze for later use. I love onion rings! I enjoy them so much that I order them as a treat rather than Ice Cream or Sweet Treats! Truly! I've had onion rings in just about all the fast food chains that serve them and when we try new restaurants or diners, I usually order onion rings. I got hooked on onion rings when I was a young girl living out East.

Of all the onion ring recipes I have tried, these have to be my favorites. I like to freeze them so the batter is firmer when cooking. There is nothing more disappointing that having the batter slide off the ring while cooking. Freezing resolves this issue.


First, I use a bag of onions. I like the sweet onions for this recipe. Some of the sweet onions I recommend are Vidalia, Sweet Georgia, Super Sweet and Texas Sweet.

Today, I am using the onions from the garden, Sweet Georgia. I peel the onions and  slice them into about quarter inch slices. The large outside rings are the rings I use for this type onion rings.
  Batter Directions:
1 cup arrowroot or corn starch
1 cup of all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
12 oz liquid ( I use  water)

Mix together and let sit for a few minutes before using.

I dredge the onion rings in the batter and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
After the sheet is full, I place in it the freezer for several hours to freeze. This freezing method ensures a solid quick freeze. I then transfer the frozen rings to a large size freezer bag, label and date it. 

When cooking the frozen onion rings, fry in hot oil or place on cookie sheet, drizzled with olive oil or peanut oil and place in hot 400* degree oven for about 20 minutes. Turn the onion rings over half way through.


 I chop and freeze the small inside pieces left over from making the onion rings, above, to use in recipes that call for chopped onions. By freezing the chopped onions on a large cookie tray and parchment paper the onions will freeze individually and be easy to measure out for recipes. I pack the frozen onion pieces into a freezer, label it including the date.
 With a tough economy, every little bit saved, helps!
Enjoy~
CJD.Sign 

 

Comments

Popular Posts