Grilled Chicken Salad and Iced Mint Green Tea
For Friday's Food, I've chosen a Lebanese Grilled Chicken Salad. For my friends following the Lenten Menu, Tofu can be changed up for the Chicken.
Lebanese Fattoush Salad with Grilled Chicken
- 2 6-inch whole-wheat pitas, split
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground sumac (see Note), divided
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 small salad cucumbers or 1 large cucumber, seeded and diced (peeled if desired)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced fresh mint
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed or equivalent amount of tofu.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Step 1
- To prepare salad: Preheat oven to 350°F. Place pita halves rough-side up on a large baking sheet. Brush with 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sumac. Bake until golden and crisp, about 15 minutes. When cool, break into bite-size pieces.
- Step 2
- Whisk lemon juice, salt, pepper and the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and 1/4 teaspoon sumac in a large bowl. Add lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, mint and the pita pieces; toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Step 3
- To prepare chicken: Meanwhile, preheat grill to medium-high. Rub the chicken with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill until no longer pink inside, 3 to 4 minutes per side. (Alternatively, broil chicken 4 to 6 inches from the heat source for about 6 minutes per side.) Slice the chicken thinly and serve on top of the salad.
Tips & Tricks
- Note: The tart berries of the sumac bush add another element to many Middle Eastern dishes. Find them whole or ground in Middle Eastern markets or online at kalustyans.com or lebaneseproducts.com.
Iced Mint Green Tea
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 3 green tea bags
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 8 cups boiling water
- 4 stalks lemongrass for garnish
- Step 1
- Combine mint leaves, tea bags, honey and boiling water. Let steep for 5 minutes; remove tea bags. Refrigerate until chilled. Divide among 4 large ice-filled glasses.Garnish with a stalk of lemongrass and mint leaves.
|Hope you enjoy this delicious meal for your Friday Food!|
|Enjoy and catch you next Friday for more Recipes!!|